Are you banned? Problems registering?

Are you banned, but don't think you did wrong? Are you having problems registering? Read this post first. If you still have questions, contact forum staff at staff (at) skyscrapersim (dot) com to get help.

Author Topic: Cannot run latest builds on Mac  (Read 314 times)

Offline dadudzik

Cannot run latest builds on Mac
« on: January 14, 2018, 10:30:38 PM »
Tried 2.0 Alpha10 and also the latest 101617 build but neither will run.  We tried on two different Macs both running Mac OS Sierra.

Offline eventhorizon

• Administrator
    • The Skyscraper Project
Re: Cannot run latest builds on Mac
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 11:22:05 PM »
Tried 2.0 Alpha10 and also the latest 101617 build but neither will run.  We tried on two different Macs both running Mac OS Sierra.

That's a known problem, and currently there's no fix.  There is a work-around though, that's in this discussion:
https://forum.skyscrapersim.com/index.php?issue=213.0

from that thread:
Quote (selected)
I tested it on a Mac that had this issue, and found a workaround.  Extract Skyscraper onto your desktop, then open the Terminal app (in Utilities) and type this:

Code: [Select]
cd Desktop/skyscraper
skyscraper.app/Contents/MacOS/skyscraper

and it should run fine.

Offline dadudzik

Re: Cannot run latest builds on Mac
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 08:48:46 PM »
Thanks for your help. It works.
Typing the commands above into the terminal to open skyscraper on a Mac each time can get tiring.
Here’s what I did.
Open textedit or another editor and create a file named skyscraper.sh
Put these 4 lines in the file:
#!/bin/bash

cd Desktop/skyscraper
skyscraper.app/Contents/MacOS/skyscraper

Now Save skyscraper.sh to the Desktop
Next open terminal and type:

cd desktop
chmod +x skyscraper.sh

Now right click on the skyscraper.sh file and choose “Get Info”
Scroll down to “Open with:” and click the dropdown list.  Select “Other”
At the bottom of the window change “Enable: to “All Applications”
double click the Utilities Folder in the list and choose “terminal” and click "Add"

Now you can double click the skyscraper.sh file on the desktop to run SkyscraperSim

It will leave a terminal window open which you have to close manually after your done with skyscraper. 
I’m no script expert so if someone else can enhance this or make the script close the terminal window automatically please let me know.

Update:
This all works if you are using an Administrator account but does not work as a Standard User.
How do you run the latest versions of Skyscraper on MacOS Sierra in a Standard User account?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 10:38:02 PM by dadudzik » »