Are you banned? Problems registering?

Are you banned, but don't think you did wrong? Are you having problems registering? Read this post first. If you still have questions, contact forum staff at staff (at) skyscrapersim (dot) com to get help.

Author Topic: Tips for Working with .BLD Files  (Read 4501 times)

Offline Chris

• Formerly ThyssenElevator95
Tips for Working with .BLD Files
« on: February 09, 2011, 03:08:12 PM »
I have noticed that some people script their buildings using Microsoft WordPad.  That is not an ideal program to use for scripting buildings as that is not was WordPad is designed for.  It was designed for word processing.  If you are going to work on buildings, I would highly recommend using Microsoft NotePad or NotePad++, a free program that is made for scripting.

Also, when saving buildings, to save it as .bld instead of .txt:
Click File, then click "Save As..."
Select the directory that you want to save the file in, and name your file, putting  ".bld" at the end.
In the "File Type" drop-down menu, select "All Files (.*)", and click "OK".  Your building will be saved as a .bld file.

Hope this helps,
Chris

joeyollie123

Re: Tips for Working with .BLD Files
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 01:05:16 AM »
yes, these strategies allways help me so well done for putting them up for others!

Offline chiefbozx

• Moderator of Community Projects
    • GitHub!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 11:20:13 PM »
For Mac users I would recommend TextWrangler (free, Mac App Store). You should be able to enter the .bld extension directly in the Save As dialog.

Offline Networker72

I know...
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 09:06:38 AM »
Yes - Notepad++ is the best to edit buildings with. I use it to make all of my (handcoded) buildings.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:19:33 AM by Elevescalators » »

Offline JoshCraver9000

• Go ThyssenKrupp!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 05:23:09 PM »
I have notepad++ and it doesnt have an option for saving things in a bld file :( how do i save a script in a bld file?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 05:26:50 PM by JoshCraver9000 » »
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/JoshCraver9000
ThyssenKrupp Elevators ROCK!!!!!!!

CERBPYRO

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 05:35:41 PM »
I have notepad++ and it doesnt have an option for saving things in a bld file :( how do i save a script in a bld file?
If you don't know how to type .bld at the end of a filename, then I doubt you really need to be making buildings.

Offline Chris

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 05:48:58 PM »

Save As... -> Save as type "All Files" -> Add .bld to the end of the desired filename -> Save -> Done.

Offline Networker72

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 11:08:07 AM »
Save As... -> Save as type "All Files" -> Add .bld to the end of the desired filename -> Save -> Done.

Just like that. If you have modified... Simple building and want to call it Simple II, then type in Simple II.bld into the Save As box.

Offline Chris

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 02:03:46 PM »
Just like that. If you have modified... Simple building and want to call it Simple II, then type in Simple II.bld into the Save As box.

Bingo.  Make sure you choose the "All Files" setting, otherwise it will be saved as Simple II.bld.txt.

Offline gooper1

• The Otis Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 03:12:24 PM »
Bingo.  Make sure you choose the "All Files" setting, otherwise it will be saved as Simple II.bld.txt.
...although if you do save it as a .txt file, wouldn't it still work with SS?
Check out our new forum Discord chat!

G1DP      Lumo Center (now a part of June's IP)      Content requests thread (CLOSED)

Any questions, comments, or concerns? Contact me via Discord (fastest), PM, or email.

Offline Chris

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 03:33:14 PM »
...although if you do save it as a .txt file, wouldn't it still work with SS?

Yes.  At the Other Buildings screen, you can type in the whole file name (i.e. building.txt), and it will open it, as .bld files are just regular .txt files with a different extension.

Offline JoshCraver9000

• Go ThyssenKrupp!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 05:52:26 PM »
Thanks
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/JoshCraver9000
ThyssenKrupp Elevators ROCK!!!!!!!